The Lowdown on Paris Fashion Week
With models walking on water and Virgil resurrecting menswear, Paris Fashion Week (PFW) was memorable.
You’ve probably been flooded by pictures from the watery catwalk already, but this year’s Saint Laurent show was one of a biblical scale. Set at dusk, with the Eiffel Tower looming above, models flowed onto the runway in sheer, sleek black evening gowns. Though it’s upsetting to think about what the water did to their beautiful shoes.
Virgil Abloh’s menswear collection was comparable to the artistry of his Roman namesake. The new artistic director of Louis Vuitton made a splash with his new SS 18/19 collection- though there was no water involved this time.
Abloh debuted his Colour Theory collection, which aims to explore the definitions of terms and explanations in a more liberal way: for instance, the collection showcased accessories being worn in a variety of ways and becoming central to the outfit’s composition. The show took place in the Palais-Royale gardens, the greenery surrounding capturing the essence of spring and emphasising Abloh’s refreshing new take on the iconic brand.
While PFW shows are still on here are seven style tips to take away from the shows so far:
1. There were a lot of bohemian, flowy dresses as highlighted at the Chloé show.
2. Another stand out was the floor length knit dress, as seen on many celebrities attending fashion week.
3. Deep dark colours contrast with pale, washed-out pastels: think baby blue, pale yellow, olive greens and deep burgundies.
4. Dark denim all-in-ones.
5. The trench coat over lighter layers.
6. Bucket hats?! The street style tend can be incorporated into your wardrobe all year round
7. 80s style blouses
This article will be updated, should any new trends/shows catch our eye.
[Photo Credits: Tristan Nitot CC BY-SA 3.0.]